Acupuncture is one of the oldest systems of healing in the world. It originated in China over 3,000 years ago. Based on centuries of documented clinical observation of patients and diseases its diagnostic tools & treatments are effective. Research studies show over 8 million Americans visit acupuncture practitioners per year, with that number rising each year. In Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) acupuncture is the fastest growing method of treatment in the US.
Chinese Medicine views the person in its totality: Mind, Body & Spirit. Acupuncture is believed to return the natural balance between the mind, body, and spirit.
From The World Health Organization (WHO):
"Diseases, symptoms or conditions for which acupuncture has been proved-through controlled trials-to be an effective treatment:
- Adverse reactions to radiotherapy and/or chemotherapy
- Allergic rhinitis (including hay fever)
- Biliary colic
- Depression (including depressive neurosis and depression following stroke)
- Dysentery, acute bacillary
- Dysmenorrhoea, primary
- Epigastralgia, acute (in peptic ulcer, acute and chronic gastritis, and gastrospasm)
- Facial pain (including craniomandibular disorders)
- Hypertension, essential
- Hypotension, primary"
For a complete listing, and more information on Acupuncture from the WHO, click here.